Federal Medical Jobs

by fred 29. July 2010
There are a vast number of Federal medical career choices available for everybody, both in professional areas like Registered Nurse, MD, and in the skilled areas such as Home Health Aide.
Those looking for a professional field can choose to be a RN, a Physiatrist, a Physical Therapist or a Respiratory therapist. In general, depending on your location, this kind of career requires a diploma that can take from one to 8 years of schooling, at the end of which requires the candidate passing a written state test to get licensed.
For those seeking something with not as much classes required, there are numerous opportunities in the "skilled" field that are available. If you are looking to work in a place like a a hospital, you can get a position like a CAN (in some areas, this is being used to supplant the old Licensed Practical Nurse).  This requires up to two years of classes and requires the passage of a state test to be licensed.  Like the  Licensed Practical Nurse, these positions can do hands on work like moving the patient or bathing.
Other comparable skilled positions that work out of a client's home include:
PCA --- Personal Care Aide - needs about 3 months or less of schooling, depending on locale.  This person cannot do hands on work with the client, but is more in charge of light housework like folding laundry, vacuuming the floor and running errands --- generally things that a patient's disability prevents them from doing on their own.
HHA - Home Health Aide - Requires a little more studying than a PCA.  A HHA can prepare meals, do light housework and make sure the patient takes his/her medications.  Unlike the Personal Care Aide, this job is more hands on and can do activities like dressing, bathing, feeding patients, cooking, helping with medication reminders, transfers, lifting, and escorting patients to doctor's appointments.
PTA - Physical Therapy Aide - needs up to 2 years of education.  A PTA helps patient follow physical therapy plans set up by a regular physical therapist.
OTA - Occupational Therapy Aide --- Just like the Physical Therapy Aide, requires up to two years of schooling.  Comes in and helps the patient follow plans set out by the  Occupational Therapist.
Massage Therapist --- requires up to 2 years of schooling. A massage therapist works in conjunction with a physician and OT / physical therapist to provide relief from pain without the use of drugs.
HCSS- Home and Community Support Services aide --- This person deals more with Traumatic Brain Injury patients who can be of any age -- needs a slightly different course of education than  Home Health Aide for certification - A home and community support services aide helps the patient regain status in the community.  A Home and Community Support Services aide verbally assists and reminds the patient of routine tasks and functions. This aide can function more in a hands-on capacity than a Personal Care Aide if really required.
Obviously, these Federal government jobs may have different titles depending on your locale, but as you can see that they offer a an important quantity of choices for this growing career field.

Related posts


August 3. 2010 08:24


Je Tunerer: 1647332

Ms. Midyette us

Comments are closed